Even though colic is a common concern for horse owners, it is usually unpredictable and unpreventable. Horses are naturally prone to colic, but the good news is over 80% of cases are treatable on the farm.
Signs your horse may have colic:
- Biting or kicking their flank or belly
- Frequently turning to look at their side
- Lying down or rolling
- Little or no passing of manure
- Dry or mucus-covered manure
- Not drinking water
- Poor appetite
- Heart rate over 45 to 50 beats per minute
- Sticky gums
- Unusually colored mucous membranes
While you may not be able to prevent all types of colic, there are ways to reduce the numbers of times you and your horse have to deal with this painful condition.
- Always have fresh, clean water. Horses appreciate drinking out of buckets more than automatic waterers.
- In colder weather add hot water to their buckets twice a day. Horses will drink more warm water in cool weather
- Allow horses access to two or three different pastures in a month
- Use feed tubs or hay racks with a rubber mat under them to prevent horses from eating sand
- Feed grain or pelleted feeds only when you need to
- Change feed fewer than four times a year
- Float your horses’ teeth every six months
- Control parasites
When you’ve done everything you can to keep your horse healthy, but colic rears its head anyway, there are safe and healthy solutions to the problem. C&E Animal Health offers a couple of quality, helpful products to soothe your horse’s belly.
What can I do if my horse shows symptoms of colic?
Call your veterinarian and then give your horse FirstCol. FirstCol contains a live source of viable prebiotics, probiotics, yucca schidigera extract, and digestive enzymes to aid digestion, support gut motility, bowel health, and normal lactic acid levels to assist recovery from colic.
What can I feed as a daily supplement to support gut health?
Equine Ultra-Fit supports gut health and contains needed bacteria and digestive enzymes for efficient digestion and nutrient absorption to keep equine in peak physical condition for all seasons. Feed Ultra-Fit to support horses with a history of gastric ulcers, and loose stool, as well as to provide natural recovery for horses prone to seasonal colic and tying-up.
The product contains live (viable) microorganisms, prebiotics, probiotics, digestive enzymes, yeast, and yucca schidigera extract to support digestion and absorption of nutrients.
There is help
No one likes to see their horse suffer. Taking the proper precautions, combined with the right solutions for when colic does appear, go a long way toward giving your horse the best chance she has at optimum health.