Clay has been used for centuries to make pottery, bricks and you’ve probably even received some more recently as a gift. For just as many centuries we’ve been using other kinds of clay for their medicinal properties.
Montmorillonite clay got its name from a large deposit discovered in Montmorillon France in the 1800s, though it was in use long before that particular discovery. It’s a “smectite” clay, recognized for its great ability to absorb. This ability makes montmorillonite one of the most powerful detoxifying agents on earth – for people and animals.
Often referred to as a “living clay”, in its crystallized, edible form, montmorillonite is negatively charged. Toxins, heavy metals, harmful particulates, and pathogens in the body are positively charged. When consumed, the particles attract and absorb these positively charged elements and neutralize them. The toxins are then expelled, along with the clay, as waste.
Getting rid of toxins and pathogens as body waste is part of what human and animal immune systems are designed to do anyway. Montmorillonite just provides a helping hand.
While montmorillonite isn’t very useful if you want to make a mug for your Aunt Shirley’s birthday (it’s too soft and absorbent for that), if you feed it to your horse on a regular basis, it will help keep his immune system healthy.